Tuesday, September 22, 2009

We Blog. (Post 9)

When I first heard we would be blogging for class, I was hesitant.  Blogging was for people that wanted to whine and groan over their problems.  Blogging was for people who had no one else to talk to.  Blogging was unreliable.  Blogging was ruining newspapers. Blogging was a waste of time.  I’m ready to admit these preconceived notions were wrong.  I was surprised  how much reading articles by people such as Sullivan  changed my view of blogging.  This experience allowed me to see that blogs are more than groaning and political theories gone wrong, but actually a place to find novel opinions and information that would not be shared if it were not for the world wide web at the fingertips of authors.

For me, the most interesting posts were the ones that were responding to articles written about things such as internet use, civic literacy, and well, blogging.  I felt myself wanting to defend my generation; to prove that even though we use the internet we are just as smart and capable of writing a decent essay.  The biggest challenge was remaining open minded through the entire essay (ahem Carrs, cough Hedges) and picking out points that may shine a bit of truth.  The writings have made me aware that civic literacy is changing and it is up to us to direct its path.  With blogging there are opportunities for everyone to be engaged and share thoughts without any restrictions.   Instead of passing off the internet as something that is detracting from our traditional society, specifically news and writing, I see it now as a new opportunity that is opening doors around the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment