Friday, October 23, 2009

I love The Times (Post 3)

Reading The New York Times isn't quite a new addition to my morning routine. In my experience, the Times allows me to be much more informed than other newspapers. My parents subscribe to the Courier Journal and for a while, I thought that was the best news to read. Then, I discovered the times. They not only focus on big issues facing America but also make sure their readers are informed on international affairs that would be overlooked in a local paper. While the Courier only has part of the back page dedicated to international happenings, the New York Times has the stories interspersed through the main pages. The Times stories go much more in depth and provide valuable background information to readers who have not been previously following the issue.
It is safe to say I have indeed been following the health care debate through The New York Times. It would be hard to click to the home page of the news every morning and ignore one of the biggest problems facing our nation today. Before the past few months, I would have most likely brushed past an article discussing health care. Though the issue is not one that I am extremely passionate about, it is important to stay informed on legislation that will eventually affect every one of us. I have also been following the elections in Afghanistan and any attacks that happen in Pakistan. Other articles that tend to grab my attention are ones concerning health and psychological discoveries. These attract me because health and psychological issues are things that could easily affect my life, whether through possible health threats or new discoveries in the field.
Through my reading process, I may have missed articles discussing technology or business. Technology isn't something I care much for, so I am unfortunately being passive and leaving that section to someone else. I try to skim the business section (my dad always told me it was the most important section to read) but stock numbers and company sale rates are something I have trouble retaining.
My days reading the New York Times have changed some of my reading habits. Instead of just relying on the Courier Journal, I found out there was much more happening in the world and set out to find the rest. The Times articles are generally longer and have trained me to be able concentrate on sections that last more than a paragraph or two. Now that I have to read the Times for class, it will hold be accountable to being civically literate; I can't wait for my horizons to expand even further.

No comments:

Post a Comment